Ms. Bigwood’s Bio

Hello! My name is Ms. Amanda Bigwood and I am happy to share a few things about myself here so you may begin to know me better. I welcome any questions you may have so please feel free to email me! I will start with some educational background.

The 23/24 school year will be my 19th year of teaching! This will be my 11th year at LES

My degrees include:

M.Ed in reading and language from UMASS 2013

B.A in Children’s Literature and Education from Castleton State College 2004

I hold 3 current teaching licensure in the state of MA as a Reading specialist at all levels, early childhood education PreK-2, and elementary education K-6. Before moving to MA I worked under my NH Special Education Licensure in NH as a case manager for grades PreK-3, and in VT under my PreK-6 VT licensure with first and third graders

My Philosophy Statement

I am an early childhood educator, reading enthusiast, and play advocate! I have a strong interest in both the latest research that explores the power and importance of play and social skills development as well as developmentally appropriate academic practices with young learners. We are not only guiding students in advancing their academic learning, we are also guiding them in life long social/emotional skills as well!  Kindergarten and PreK are a magical time in childhood where balance, exploration, play, and discovery have prominent key roles. Children are learning who they are, who their peers are, and how their lives pertain to the wider world around them. They are also learning how to read, gaining number sense, and developing a love of science and social studies.  My aim is to foster an environment that builds upon children’s natural curiosity and creativity. To guide them in positive communication, teamwork, independence, resilience, perseverance, and self confidence. To meet them where they are and help them grow. To be a guide in sunny days and through the storms and watch them become successful learners! Every year I feel so fortunate to have a small window into your children’s lives and the great work that is happening for them with the support of families and communities.  Together we can learn anything!

I like the challenge of learning new things and I enjoy new adventures. Learning new things can be fun, challenging, exhilarating, frustrating, and sometimes scary! I remind my students (and myself!) that difficult moments help us grow and make us stronger.  Every time you learn something new, you are beginning a new adventure! So don’t be afraid, be BRAVE and jump in and try! It takes courage and bravery to try new things, and I love to help my students find their courage everyday in the classroom, on the playground, and in their own unique individual ways.

Amanda Outside the classroom:

I enjoy an interesting mix of activities!  These includes crafts and arts when time allows such as painting, crotchet, home canning, and baking. I also look forward to riding my bike (pedal, dirt bike, or motorcycle depending upon the year!).  Spending time with my family, watching cartoons or cooking competitions with the kids, visiting the beach, camping, comic books, trivia nights, singing loudly in the car, books, audible, hiking, chocolate, craft beer, and warm weather! Fun Facts: Before I had children (and was younger!), I played roller derby as “Jimminy Whip-It”, competed in autoX with my race car (which I sometimes drove to the school to show the kids), and worked for a beer distributer.

I have a wonderful partner Jon, two daughters- an eight year old named Evora, a three year old named Éloise, and baby Pipere who will be one in October!  I also have three step-children, Trenten 25, Lexi 22, and JJ 19. We have two dogs: a Labrador named Maui and an Australian Cattle Dog named Max as well as a pet rat named Comet and four chickens: Fluffers, Oreo, Chickadee, and Dory the rooster! We hatch chickens in class each spring and my children talked me into keeping them this year…. so we are now low key chicken farmers too lol!

Most of all, I love my students!! They quickly become my extended little family. They make me smile and turn every day into a new adventure!!  I am always so impressed with all they do!

1 Comment

One thought on “Ms. Bigwood’s Bio

1. Amanda! This is so great! Love hearing about you and things you are interested in, and your love of your students! Thanks for sharing! Love visiting the blog. Can’t wait to see more.